Violations of the policy will result in increasing levels of actions, ranging from asking the patron to leave the library for the remainder of the day to the patron’s permanent loss of all library privileges to legal prosecution. The level of action shall be determined on a case-to-case basis and shall be within the sole discretion of the Head Librarian or his/her designee.
1. Unacceptable Behavior that causes excessive noise levels, creates disturbance, interferes with other patrons’ use of the library, and damages library property is not permitted in the library. Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to:
A. Loud, disruptive conversations, including shouting;
B. Use of profane and/or abusive language;
C. Harassment of others, either verbally or by physical actions. This includes any actions that other patrons or staff member perceive to be threatening;
D. Threatening others either verbally or by physical actions. This includes any actions that other patrons or staff members perceived to be threatening;
E. Use of alcohol and narcotics is not permitted. Patrons under the influence of either alcohol or narcotics will not be allowed on the Library premises;
F. Carrying weapons of any kind. This does not apply to law enforcement officers;
G. Running ,climbing or throwing items is not permitted in the library;
H. Indiscriminate pulling of materials from shelves in a manner that disrupts the orderly and proper arrangement of library materials;
I. CD players and other sound producing devices may not be used in the library unless they are used with headphones and the sounds are not audible to others.
3. Only staff and authorized individuals are allowed in staff areas.
4. Roller blades, skateboards or other athletic equipment shall not be used in the library. Patrons bringing these items to the library may check them at the front desk.
5. Toys must remain in the children’s area and/or community room.
6. All patrons must leave the premises after closing, unless they are participating in a prescheduled program or meeting. Children left in the library or on Town Hall property after library closing hours are subject to the conditions as stated in the Policy Concerning Children in the Library.
7. Anyone involved in the theft, defacement, or mutilation of library materials or property will be subject to arrest and prosecution.
8. Food and drink spillage can damage valuable resources. Since care needs to be exercised, we ask that patrons refrain from having food and drink in the library. Patrons are responsible for any damage caused by food or drink.
9. Patrons must wear shoes and attire appropriate to a public setting at all times.